The dramatic change in the people’s lifestyle has shifted the idea of getting married in 20’s leading to late pregnancies. With the advanced age comes the problem of infertility. Infertility is the biggest concern a couple has to face, which is caused due to low egg production as the age of woman increases which may lead to infertility. In fact, the study reveals that at the age of 40, only 10% of eggs are healthy and remaining 90% may contain chromosomal abnormalities.
Studies have shown that the eggs from older women are more likely to have abnormalities making pregnancy less likely, increasing chances of miscarriage and the risk of Down Syndrome, a condition where a child is born with an extra chromosome number 21. For women, in their late 30s, IVF is still a good thing to try and certainly have higher success rates than trying naturally. However, IVF success rates drop sharply after the age of 40. Generally, in one year of trying, 75% of women under the age of 30 years and 66% of 35-year-old women but only 44% of 40-year-old women will achieve a live baby naturally.
So, what’s the solution?
With options such as Egg freezing available today, women have an option to preserve their eggs for future when they are ready to take a break from their carrier and start a family. They can conceive with frozen eggs through IVF. Women who did not get their eggs frozen earlier can still opt for IVF.
While IVF becomes your answer, its success depends on various factors!
A failed IVF cycle comes with a lot of physical and emotional distress. One critical factor that can lead to a failure is the quality of embryo. In late pregnancies due to the quality of egg or sperm the embryo may carry chromosomal abnormalities which may cause a failed IVF cycle. IGENOMIX’s Preimplantation Genetic Screening (PGS) and MitoScore enables pregnancy rate by 70-80% by a single embryo transfer. PGS uses the latest next generation sequencing (NGS) technology to screen the embryos of the most common chromosomal abnormalities, hence increasing the chances of conception by 60% through IVF.