The NGS has arrived in the genetics world and it’s a state-of-the-art impressive technology. The massive parallel sequencing technology known as Next Generation Sequencing has revolutionised biological sciences. Having and ultra-high throughput, scalability and speed, NGS allows researchers to perform a wide range of applications and study biological systems at a level that was previously impossible.
NGS is the future of genetic tests
NGS it’ an extremely powerful platform that made possible the sequencing of thousand of millions of DNA molecules simultaneously, revolutionising, this way, fields such as personalised medicine, genetic diseases and clinical diagnostics.
Nowadays, complex genomic research questions demand a depth of information beyond the capacity of traditional DNA sequencing technologies. Next Generation Sequencing filled that gap and it is the right research tool to address these questions. Using NGS and entire genome can be sequenced within a single day, whilst the previous technology, the Sanger Sequencing, would require approximately over a decade to deliver a final draft.
Some of the healthcare applications that NGS permitted:
- Identifying rare genetic mutations and variations
- Deeper analytics of targeted DNA regions
- Advanced analysis of gene expression
- Discovery of cancer-causing genetic mutations
- Much faster sequencing of human DNA
The evolution of Igenomix tests with NGS
At Igenomix we always aim to offer the latest and state-of-the-art technologies to our customers for reliable results and to ensure trust to everyone that wants to perform a test with us. That’s why we have a wide range of tests using Next Generation Sequencing, such as NACE (Non-invasive Prenatal Test), PGT-A (Preimplantation Genetic Testing for Aneuploids), PGT-SR (Preimplantation Genetic Testing for Structural Rearrangements) , POC (Products of Conception), ERA (Endometrial Receptivity Analysis), EMMA (Endometrial Microbiome Metagenomic Analysis) and ALICE (Analysis of Infectious Chronic Endometritis).
The advantages of using NGS in Igenomix tests are several and impressive. In the case of PGT-A and PGT-SR, for instance, you can see what NGS can do in these two genetic tests:
- High flexibility, scalability and best cost-efficiency. NGS enables the screening of 2 to 96 samples per analysis, minimising the need to batch embryos and significantly driving down the cost per sample.
- New diagnostic possibilities. NGS allows for embryo screening together with mitochondrial DNA screening (MitoScore).
- Robust technology detects whole chromosome aneuploidies, mosaicism and segmental aneuploidies.
- Faster technology allows Fresh Embryo Transfer (D5/D6).
This technology allowed Igenomix to perform faster and even more accurate results at the distance of a finger.